Answer: Kids come home from school ravenous. They want something to fill their bellies to tide them over until supper. As parents, we want don’t want them to just munch on chips or candy and soda. Fortunately there are lots of healthy snack ideas out there. As a dentist I am always interested in ideas that don’t contain a lot of sugar. I learned that cheese is one of the best snacks. Don’t get the processed kind because it doesn’t have any of the benefits of real cheese. Cheese contains no sugar and also has an enzyme that inhibits tooth decay. That makes it a great snack when your child isn’t going to be able to brush afterwards. Here are some other snack ideas:
- Smoothies are sure to please. Use frozen or fresh fruit to sweeten them
- Yogurt is tasty. Buy unsweetened yogurt and add fruit and maybe a touch of honey.
- Homemade sweet potato chips. Slice or make wedges. Spray lightly with oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake until crisp. You could also make a dipping sauce.
- Home made snack mix. Mix unsweetened banana chips, nuts, popcorn and whatever else you like and put it in bags so it is ready to go.
- Fruit can be cut up ahead of time and then its ready for snacks. Another fruit idea for young kids is fruit racers. Cut two grapes in half and use toothpicks to attach them as wheels on the bottom of an apple wedge.
These are a few ideas, but you can get lots more by looking on the internet. You could do a search or you could use an app like Pinterest.
I hope this inspires you to think about snack that not only taste good, but are good for you children’s health and their teeth!